What we offer
Exeter Consortium represents the schools in Exeter and offers School Direct Initial Teacher Training in its Primary and Secondary Schools in partnership with South West Teacher Training SCITT and Bath Spa University.
There is tremendous expertise in ITT in the city, and our routes towards QTS provide a personalised programme with placements chosen to meet the needs of each individual. The training is based in exceptional schools across our partnership, working with outstanding practitioners.
More than 60 very different schools belong to our organisation, large and small, inner city, suburban and rural. Together they present a wide range of settings that offer the exciting challenges on which excellence in teacher education thrives!
The qualification we offer is a PGCE with SWTT (accredited by Bath Spa University, rated as Outstanding by Ofsted for Teacher Training). These routes to the PGCE will provide you with the opportunity to work with like-minded trainees on an exciting programme designed by us to address individuals’ needs and based exclusively in local schools.
Taster sessions for our Primary (5-11) and Primary (Early Years 3-7) PGCE programmes are held in member schools, and you are warmly invited to come along to meet colleagues and discuss your plans. These events take place on a regular basis so please contact us for more information. Alternatively, pick up the phone at any time for an informal chat to see how we can help you.
Exeter Consortium have been a fantastic training provider. When I first made the decision to pursue a career in teaching, Exeter Consortium supported me in finding a Teaching Assistant position that would allow me to gain the work experience I needed, before starting my Initial Teacher Training in September 2017. The Exeter Consortium team are friendly, supportive and always at the end of the phone if you need them. I would recommend them to anyone wanting to start a career in teaching! TRAINEE, 2017/18 COHORT
How is School Direct Different?
For Primary trainees the training begins in your 'Home School' where you will be based for most of the time - and here you will develop an understanding of how schools are organised and some of the challenges they face from the start of the year. You will spend much more time in school than other trainees on conventional PGCE programmes.
Secondary trainees can choose from courses in subjects offered through partnerships with SWTT. SWTT is a SCITT and their programmes have a strong school-based flavour, with around 75% of time allocated to working in local schools.
Our aim is to select, train and recruit outstanding individuals who want to become part of the next generation of excellent practitioners for Exeter’s schools. 95% of our trainees have secured employment by the end of their training year.
We want to provide our local schools with exceptional new teachers, trained in our own schools with a clear understanding of the nature and character of the challenges they face, prepared and equipped to further raise standards of achievement for all of the city’s children!
What are the Specific Benefits to You?
- More time is spent in school You’ll work across the system and develop a really good understanding of how these complicated organisations actually work!
- Placements will be in local schools and carefully chosen to suit your particular individual needs and circumstances. We know our schools really well!
- Well placed to fill the vacancies which arise in our schools a significant percentage of our trainees were much sought after and secured jobs in Exeter before finishing the programme!
- Regular opportunities to engage with the very successful CPD programme provided by Exeter Consortium for its schools and teachers
- Access to a range of different schools where excellent practitioners will be available to work alongside!
- Opportunity to join Exeter Supply Partnership our own teacher supply service focused on developing, nurturing and retaining the best teaching talent for all of our schools and actively promoting education excellence. Our pool of supply teachers is highly regarded by member schools and many use it to recruit new teachers on full or part time contracts.